Monday, March 12, 2007

NCAAs

I must be drunk with the optimism of a (barely deserving) 4 seed, but I see good things in Virginia's future for the weekend. Not to overlook Albany (I am looking in your direction EZ, for a counterpoint) but Tennessee is a streaky team, and the last time we had a good tournament run, our first weekend games were in Dayton (Columbus this year). There is a slight chance I could be going to the games.

Big fan of the Blue Ribbon yearbook, although I don't understand why someone would pay an extra $40 for overnight delivery versus pdf. That is a really expensive glossy coaster.

I haven't gotten into the details of the brackets, but teams I like are A&M, Wisconsin (I'm the only one), UCLA, and UNC. I don't like Ohio State, Kansas, Florida (UF losing would be good for America), Texas.

2 comments:

Eric Z said...

Um, didn't you also lose in 1995 in the first round - to Miami (OH) - as a 5 seed in Dayton?

I've always wanted to go to a 1st/2nd round game in person. However, I have been to 3 NCAA tournament games. Yes, I attended the opening round game every year from 2001-03. That counts, right?

I don't know Albany very well, but I do know they gave UConn all they wanted last year -and they didn't lose many people. Here they are again in the tournament. They won't be scared at all.

Have fun in Columbus - I know some good public golf courses if you need them.

My hard copy of the Blue Ribbon will be so dog-eared by Sunday afternoon....I'll get every penny out of it.

I wouldn't count out Long Beach beating Tennessee. That will be a 90-88 game. Both teams will run.

I like A&M too, but they got screwed by probably having to play Louisville in Lexington.

Wisconsin got a good draw. I don't like them, but they should make the elite 8 with no problems.

You are right on with UCLA. I'm supposed to be worried about Bill Self? Does Bradley or Bucknell ring a bell?

I think UNC is too young and inconsistent.

SOmething bothers me about Texas. Maybe the fact that everyone - EVERYONE - is picking them to the final 4. I like Georgetown.

And I like Memphis. No real reason.

Eric Z said...

Whoops! that was Arizona who lost to Miami in the 1st round in 1995. Virginia then took out Miami in the 2nd round in OT.