Friday, March 19, 2010

NCAA Odds and Ends

Great slate of games yesterday, best opening day for the the NCAAs since 1998 (Bryce Drew of Valparaiso beating Ole Miss @ the buzzer). I've evolved my opinion on what it takes to win games deep into the tournament, from experience/upperclassmen, to an excellent low-post player, to a versatile wing, to...? My point? I've abandoned thoughts on championship formulas as I've come to the realization upsets result from a.) a guard who can penetrate b.) a lights out two guard. Have both, and you've got an entertaining game.

(Aside - UNC v. W&M @ Carmichael on Tuesday was the best NCAA game I've watched in two years.)

- Not surprised by the Texas collapse. Going to be a long summer in Austin. Ish Smith has 68% of the heart of the WF team.

- Carrying your NCAA bracket in public is worse than an adult bringing a mitt to a Major League baseball game.

- Yesterday was so great there was no mention of Kentucky/Kansas (#1) wins.

- An edict of my personal NCAA bracketality states it is advantageous to enter bracket pools of friends who live outside driving distance, to avoid falling prey to location bias (unless Georgetown is a no-show).

- The Big East bandwagon got (slightly) lighter after yesterday's games.

No comments: