Saturday, January 20, 2007

Who really cares?

I find it extremely annoying that everything on pgatour.com is geared towards the FedEx Cup. You have to search to find the Money List ranking. Also, if you check the live scoring, the first choice is 'FC' that provides FedEx Cup standings, and projected FedEx Cup points for the week.

Did the PGA Tour shop the notion of the FedEx Cup to the fans, to see if they would really care? If I had to estimate, the % of fans geared for the format would hover @ 5%, but would spike precipitously if top-name players committed to tournaments late in the season (post-PGA) in an attempt to win the 'Cup'. Correct me if I am wrong, but I have yet to see one player commit to a more back-loaded schedule.

Couple the FedEx Cup with an altered schedule, and this season on tour is downright confusing. The new schedule stinks, an obvious pandering to sponsors and $$$ over quality golf. I am not a fan of the Players in May, essentially meaning the beginning of the "real season" is at the Masters in April, rather than the March Players. I can't even tell you when the Tour Championship is played (Spetember), resulting in an April-September period of real interest, rather than March-November. How is this a winning formula? I implore someone to educate me what the PGA is gaining through the new format/schedule, that doesn't line their coffers.

1 comment:

Eric Z said...

Good post.

I certainly don't care about the Fed Ex cup. The PGA Tour has to face facts and realize that people stop caring about golf in September. Maybe this is their attempt to revive interest - but it's difficult after a long season.

Let's be frank - I'm more interested in golf now (now that the season has started) as compared to September/October. Who the hell cares who wins the 84 Classic or the LaCantera Open? The Browns are on!

But the West Coast and Hawaiian tournaments? yes, I will be tuning in, since it is a new year.

Even if there are good reasons behind the FedEx cup, I haven't seen it. It needs to be promoted better.