Saturday, May 05, 2007

On the Mend

I am happy to report that I am writing from bed, currently in day 4 of recovery from ACL reconstruction.

Arrived at the surgery center on Wednesday at 630, and was taken into pre-op @ 7. Was extremely anxious, which, when combined with the low temperature of the room, led to shivering. Thankfully, everyone I encountered was fantastic. Absolutely wonderful. I can't overstress that fact. Great pre-op nurses, Dr.s responsible for anesthesia, and my surgeon, Dr. Thal, who was the man. Taken to the OR, @ 845, and was under for the entire surgery soon thereafter. While I was expecting 2-3 hours of surgery, I had my ACL replaced and meniscus repaired in 55 minutes. Unbelieveable. After post op juice and graham crackers, I was in a wheelchair headed home by 12. Amazing.

Recovery has been good, albeit a mix of soreness and pain. First PT on Friday, where the greatest apprehension came from the stiff leg leading to cracking/snapping sounds during movement.

So far, I've remained very optimistic, and am trying to do more each day than the last. With the meniscus repair, I can't put full weight on the leg/knee for three weeks, but am pushing for as much flexibility as possible, without undue stress on the knee. As always, any advice is appreciated. Consider myself blessed to come into the quality of people who were associated with my surgery. Every one of the 8+ people were outstanding, and the fact they do it daily is amazing. The experience was an A+.

No comments: