Friday, May 11, 2007

Ugly, Bad, Good

Ugly - Is there a more pompous or moronic golfer than Rory Sabbatini? I still shake my head at his tantrum at the 2005 BAH Classic where he was annoyed with Ben Crane's slow play and played ahead of his pairing. After yesterday's one good round at the TPC, he shoots his mouth and called Tiger beatable. His bravado comes on the heels of being smoked by Tiger at last week's Wachovia. Here's to a 79 today.

Bad - The Players' on NBC means another Johnny Miller weekend. I consider JM to be an egocentric clown. I can't remember the tournament (it was recent) where Adam Scott was teeing on a par 3, and hesitated while switching clubs. JM said something to the effect of, "it is disappointing AS cannot commit to a club and a shot near the end of the tournament". Dottie Pepper was following the group, and chimed in, "the wind is currently gusting, which will be a factor in the shot, hence the indecision". Essentially, more information was a mild rebuke of Miller. JM couldn't let it pass, and after the shot came up 10 yards short, he tersely stated, "seems like his wait was club decision based, as he was still 1/2 club short." He couldn't give credit to DP, but had to stroke his own ego. I don't think I was ever happier that watching the Shell Wide World of Golf @ Olympic where he shot 82 and lost to Niclaus by 8 shots.

Good - My favorite golf comment ever was during the final rounnd of the 1986 Masters, when Jack Nicklaus was on the 16th tee and Tom Weiskopf was asked what was going through Jack's mind. TW responded to the effect, "if I knew, I would have won this tournament at some point." The comment was amazingly candid, humorous, and mildly self-depricating.

2 comments:

RRD said...

Well done by Rory on Friday.

Eric Z said...

While you are right about Rory nowadays, I did like him for stadning up to Crane way back when. Someone has got to stand up to slow players on tour.

I have the tape of the 1986 Masters and hear that comment by Weiskpf every year. Great stuff.