Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Grounded, Understanding

Yesterday a coworker brought his seven year old daughter to the office, which was a departure from the routine to which I've grown accustomed, to the point of ignoring the obvious. Through the eyes of a child an office must appear overly sanitized, quiet, and structured, which I equate to uninteresting. While we labored, she was engrossed in Shrek, and I'd be lying if my interests didn't begin to lean towards her direction.

The sight of a child in the office enabled me to see many things I've 'unseen' for years, as they've blended into my familiar surroundings. The clacking of keys on the keyboard, the imposing shape of an industrial printer, how to operate a coffee pot. Watching my coworker and his daughter walk the hall, I was shaken from looking without seeing to go beyond the direct image and place the same walk elsewhere, together on the Mall, or into church on a spring morning, rather than executed in an office. One barely knowing the efforts of her Father at work, but knowing her Father.

No comments: