Friday, January 25, 2008

TLs

Maybe it is because I am turning 30, but the whole aging thing culminated in a phone call/visit to the optometrist yesterday (Thursday). I had my initial visit last Friday (after a three year hiatus) when the prognosis was, essentially "how are you driving with your current prescription". Lo and behold, I ordered a new pair of glasses, and was to have my old pair refitted with new lenses. Ironed out the details, new glasses to arrive in February, new lenses for old glasses ASAP, and a quick switch-out.

The details I glossed over were that I chose transition lenses. Upside, great for outdoor activities (golf). Downside...uhhh every other idea imaginable. Not 10 seconds after having the new lenses, and having them UV'ed to dark, I looked like a complete Communist dictator. I literally shuddered on the way to the car, and it hasn't gotten better since.

TLs are crazy, as they were put into my old/normal glasses. They don't put TLs in sunglasses, so you don't walk around like your looking for a racquetball game 24/7. But honestly, if I fell for clear TLs in sunglasses, I'd be an aviator cap away from being the weirdo in 'A Christmas Story'.

You know what sucks about TLs? Unlike the original commercial (pulled off the air), the 'transition' isn't immediate, aka, I walk to the client site, go to a meeting, and, since I can't shake them clean (like an Etch a Sketch) I look like Elton 'effing John. It is tough to garner respect when my clients are wondering if Saturday Night's Alright for Fightin'. So, my abhorration for TLs has led to me negotiating SE DC without glasses. I'm guessing this happens to everyone under 60 with TLs, a class action suit in the making.

On the bright side, I can go as Joe Gibbs for Halloween 2008.

Holy Smokes.

No comments: