Thursday, December 29, 2005

Brow-Beaten

Today I put the finishing touches on three days of golf, split between Myrtle Beach (TPC, Tidewater) and Kiawah (Ocean Course). All three rounds delivered scores in the mid-80's, and have helped prop up my handicap heading into 2006 (a minor gift to myself). I may at some point describe the rounds in detail, but in summation:

1.) I've returned to the SW from bunkers, as opposed to the 60', as I can easily control both the flight and distance.

2.) My driver is in shambles, I have no idea where it is going. I made good use of the dozen Pro V1Xs that I received as a Christmas gift.

3.) I chap easily.

4.) If anyone has any putting tips, I am all ears. I also need a suggestion on a decent 3W, and not from anyone named Owens.

5.) Coming to Myrtle for golf between March - August is pointless, as gorgeous as the week unfolded. Temperatures in the mid '60s and reasonable rounds on excellent courses (save Kiawah).

2 comments:

Eric Z said...

Putting tips? Two words....
Cross. Handed.

Two more words....
Odyssey. Putter.

OK, the second one is more a personal preference. But I truly believe that cross handed putting is the way to go.

You did not mention what type of problems you were having - distance, short putts, etc. Cross-handed putting has helped me immensely in maintaining the accuracy of the putts - especially those in the 3-7' range.

If you are suffering from a version of the yips, cross handed is the way to go. It will take a while to get the feel for the distance, but you will consistently make more 4-5 footers.

RRD said...

Funny you mention cross-handed putting, I have been putting cross-handed for the past 10+ years, it always felt more comfortable.

Do you have a mallet Odyssey? I've got the SC Newport 2, but am looking to possibly make the switch to something that works.

Claw maybe? Don't think I haven't practiced.