Saturday, November 25, 2006

TSG 2006

I buy into tradition. Couple that with the Thanksgiving holiday and you realize why I enjoy The Skins game. I remember great matches in years past, that paired Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, and the like. Trevino's hole-in-one is one of my most prominent golf memories.

I flip to the 2006 version to find Tiger Woods replaced by...Stephen Ames? Was Greg Kraft not available? I am so sad to see TSG on life support. Granted, some would argue it has been the case for years, but the tackiness of TSG 2005 (Fred Funk) made for one of the best one-liners in golf when Tiger read Fred's put being 'two balls out'. A rare view into the personality of TW, or, rather TWinc (pronounced twink).

How can TSG be improved? Hmmm...I'd suggest grabbing a bunch of young guns, but the multimillionaire 20-somethings have huge bank accounts, haven't won squat, and have the personality of bookmarks. Don't get me started on how The Leadbetter Academy has ruined the personality of golf, cranking out rich robots at the expense of independent thought.

Honestly, I'd revive TSG by going back to what worked, Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Player. How many current PGA Pros could be considered ambassadors of the game? I'd take those 4 over 98% of current golfers. Devishly, as much as I love the guys, and what they have brought to golf, I'd love to see holes won with double-bogey (circa the Nicklaus/Miller Wide World of Golf at Olympic where Miller shot 82) and holes where players are laying up to the ladies tees to clear ravines on holes with long carries. But no more skirts on men, please.

1 comment:

Eric Z said...

Sorry for the delay - I wanted to comment on this earlier, but never got the chance.

The Skins game would be awesome with Tiger, Phil, Ernie and Vijay - but that would never happen. And besides, the personality thing you mention is key. There would be no small talk there at all.

We need to have good golfers that have name recongition and are personable people. I think I have the foursome that should be in all future Skins games:

1) Fred Couples. The All Star. No questions.
2) John Daly. The people's star.
3) Peter Jacobsen. He still is talented (see the Open in 05!)
4) Greg Norman. Another big name that would draw ratings.

There you go. And as another young golfer comes up with a personality, you put him into the rotation for Jacobsen. ( I wish Tim Herron would hurrry up and win a few majors - he seems like fun and would belong in this group.)