Friday, October 19, 2007

DD

Watched 10/15 minutes of the Fry's Open yesterday, which is a microcosm of how boring the 2007 PGA season was. The majors provided little drama and the FedEx playoff tournaments/WCGs make off-week tournaments virtually unwatchable. Effectually (I admit) any tournament without TW is unwatchable.

I miss a guy who has the ability and cockiness to stir emotions a la TW. In a revelation (based on his pairing with Mickelson), what I/golf am missing is David Duval, circa late 1990s.

When DD was winning 3/4 tournaments a year, and was on his game, he was great to watch. A bit paunch, with a swing he laid off at the top, which I still consider to be a compact/great swing to behold, he fired darts. Along comes 2000 and DD shows up at the Mercedes 30 lbs. lighter and with a Mossimo clothing deal, and nothing has been the same since. I am convinced his decline was vertigo-based (quit dipping, a la Pete Harnisch) and he was never able to recover.

DD was a great golfer, I miss his game. I hope he regains respectability and form. We need some of these newer/younger golfers to step up. Glover has been in neutral for the past two years, Baddeley is too prick-ish to support. Adam Scott needs to find his game.

No comments: