Friday, May 27, 2005

Moore's Law

In an earlier post I mentioned Moore's Law, it's benefit to society, and the overall feel-good nature that technical advances are turning over at a steady 18 month cycle. To some extent, I feel the premise was an agreed-upon act of manufacturing/commercial entities to maximize profits. The "steady stream" of advancement makes it easy for companies to offer new products, satisfy the demand of the market, and release a new/advanced version down the line for a comparable price and reduce the price of the preexisting units. The 2005 version of "lather, rinse, repeat". Isn't it odd that consumer related technology has never had a "major" breakthrough where prices drastically decreased in a short amount of time, or a technical product had the "wow" factor, far bypassing all competitors?

Maybe I'm just upset I filled my 4G iPod.

No comments: