Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Titleist 905

Last weekend I had the opportunity to research and purchase the Titleist 905, upgrading from my current Titleist 983 (K, Fujikara Speeder Shaft, 8.5' loft). Unlike my prior club purchases, I took the time to swing different models on a swing monitor. My suggestions:

- Budget a good two hours to get a thorough feel for what club you are looking to purchase.
- Wear comfortable clothing (workout gear)/ Don't go dressed like you are heading to the first tee at a decent course, or 200 driver swings will leave you as sticky as a July afternoon at Hains Point.
- Have no preconceived notions as to what you want and will eventually purchase.

Initially, I told Steve (owner, Fredericksburg Golf Center) to give me the 905T, Fujikara Stiff, 8.5', which is the extension of my old 983K. Before even swinging, he told me it wouldn't be the club I would purchase (yeah right, I'd been hitting the equivalent for two years).

I got on the monitor, which charts swing speed, launch angle, club angle into the ball, ball spin, distance, carry, and overall composite score. After a few swings with the Fujikara K, I was launching the ball at an angle of 4' (shit!), which got it in the 270-280 distance range, but went against the grain of current driver technology (endorsing carry over roll). Steve attested (which I believed), "Carry is guaranteed, roll is not". Very true, as I have never gotten good roll in the pond left of #2 at Birdwood. Another such anecdote that I believed, but would have called BS had I not been purchasing from a long-time friend who always hooked me up on clubs, was that Vijay was hitting a 10' driver.

After literally 160-200 swings and hitting a myriad of drives (all Titleist), I ended up purchasing a 905T with a super-stiff Grafalloy shaft with a low kick-point and 2.8' tourque and 10.5' loft! NEVER the club I would have grabbed off the rack.

Ultimately, with drivers being so advanced, purchasing without a trip to the launch/swing monitor is flushing $$$, and don't laugh at the Smurf-blue shaft of my driver, it hits the ball a ton.

No comments: