Monday, May 30, 2005

Morning Round

This morning I had the opportunity to play a solo round of golf, which is one of the truest forms of sports enjoyment. Nothing is better than being the first person on a golf course, before the mowers, which leads to a very introspective round and well thought-out (if not well executed shots). I did ride a cart, but would have preferred to have walked. Nonetheless I was treated to my fair amount of dew and left numerous dew streaks on the grees. When the greenskeeper cuts the sixth green, he'll be the only other individual to view the 20 foot birdie I curled in.

The thoughts that go through my head while playing early are comical. I somehow talk myself into laying up on a par-5 over a lake (Jerry Pate during yesteday's Senior PGA should have taught me otherwise) and after pushing a tee shot right on another par-5 I can easily remember and deadpan, "this is the bunker that lost me the club championship". Granted, that was easily five years ago, but is the golf-equivalent of a self-inflicted bad beat.

As I finished at 8:30 and saw the line on the first tee (being Memorial Day) I couldn't have gotten off the course faster. Nice how a two-hour round has become a privilege, and the uninterrupted shots don't let the multiple snap hooks settle too deep in my psyche.

1 comment:

Eric Z said...

On the flip side, the worst feeling in golf is getting an early morning tee time at 7:15 am- and getting stuck behind a novice foursome who is moving at average speed.

They finished in 4:25, which is not all that slow for an afternoon round - but you expect better than that in the morning. They were just fast enough so that we never caught them and weren't able to hint loudly that we should play through.