Friday, May 27, 2005

Scramble is Miserable.

Yesterday I had the "opportunity" to play in a Captain's Choice golf tournament. By "opportunity" I mean at the 11th hour someone backed out and I wanted to replicate the feeling of a six-hour traffic jam.

The course that hosted the event specializes in golf outings (awesome). Squadrons of carts pointed in a myriad of directions, an ample supply to keep the three (!) courses clogged.

I can't overly complain about the golf or the tournament (or the matted driving range, multiple roads crossed between holes, the pushy beverage cart girl - I really want another Diet Coke after I refused one three minutes ago) because I knew what I had signed up for by entering.

The big joke of the day was the PA system utilized by the course to ready everyone for the event and send them on their merry way. No decent golf course should ever employ a PA. Like the other 90% of golfers, looking to enjoy a casual round, really care that mulligans are $5 and hamburgers are available after the round. Golf is/was meant to be a minimalist exercise, not 250 laps around the track at a flea market, which is the impression I get from any use of a PA.

We won the event. I got a 15 yellow Pinnacles and a ball-scoop. No shit.

No comments: