Wednesday, February 08, 2006

5-5

Tough loss for the Hoos in College Park last night. With diminished expectations, considering we've lost 5 straight to UMD and 12 of 13 at Cole/Comcast, I was interested in a close game, and was rewarded.

Unfortunately, 4 fouls on Singletary and Reynolds forced UVA into a soft zone for protection in the 2nd half, which allowed UMD open shots in the corner, and they converted. I don't consider the loss to be UVA giving the game away, more of UMD playing the physical game (allowed by the referees) that suits their style.

UVA is really hurting when either of the two are out of the game, as backup PG TJ Bannister was dressed, but is coming off an injury and didn't play. Reynolds isn't fully adept at handling the point. I give UMD credit for pressing all game, as Singletary was gassed at the end of the 2nd half. When either of the two are off the court, our offensive options drop, as Diane/Soroye are non-factors, and Lars and Cain operate mostly from 15 feet and in. Cain went for a double-double, and I am amazed at his transformation into an undersized 4.

Really liked the Comcast Center, gets me excited for the JPJ Arena opening in 2007.

2 comments:

Other Brad said...

Comcast Center puts Cole to shame, but I still miss Cole. No A/C and only 4 bathrooms, was a visiting teams nightmare.

Right now I am really spoiled by Comcast. My section is right on one of a zillion men's bathrooms. Also, right where the food and door directly across from my parking garage gives me my nachos and hot dogs as well as a 5 minute exit on normal days.

I had posted on your 5-4 post that Singletary and Reynolds are excellent players and I hope they stay all 4 years (especially Singletary).

RRD said...

Reynolds is a JR, so I doubt he'd leave. A shame the PG era gave him no confidence, as he is finally coming into his own. PG could not develop his players like Leitao already has. We all hate PG for royally screwing the Jeff Jones holdovers (Dersch).

SS looks certain to be back as a JR, but can't speak beyond next year.

I sat in 126 at Comcast, so nice! Really like the access to the Club Level amenities.