Monday, July 03, 2006

The Return to Birdwood

On Saturday I was back in Charlottesville for a wedding and played Birdwood, where I spend approximately 2.5 of my 4 college years. I hadn't played the course in @ two years, so I was playing to both put up a good round and notice the course improvements, since it has been purchased by UVA, along with the Boar's Head complex.

Following the six days of rain at the beginning of the week, the course was in fantastic shape, as good as I've seen it. Granted, it fit the pattern of being really nice for the beginning of the summer, and drying out in mid-July, so I am sure it is coming. It is weird to play a course you've played hundreds of times, but not in a while, and the same anxiety/trepidation from years past comes bubbling to the surface. The 2nd hole, a 520 yd. 5, is potentially reachable, but is bordered entirely on the left side by a lake, so I'll do anything possible to stay right, foregoing a chance at birdie, to work for a par, just to take the high number out of the equation.

All in all, a great round of golf, 82, but played 15 good holes, and three blow-up doubles (one off a bad drive OB, another from a missed flop from heather, the final double being on a 5 par, after blowing 3W from 270 way right, into the neighboring development, getting a miraculous kick to be in play, dumping my 3rd from 30 yards in the bunker, taking two to escape, and two putts). Had no birdies, and can easily attribure 5-6 strokes to a rusty short game, but an enjoyable round. Taking into account technology, I can hit the ball from the back tees to where I would hit from the regular tees while an undergrad. My game certainly hasn't gotten any better.

1 comment:

Eric Z said...

Isn't that phenomenon fascinating? Three years ago, a couple of my college friends went to Wooster and played a course we played during our tournaments in college.

Those tournaments were in 1990-91. Spalding Executive clubs, Golden Ram balls - the height of technological advancement.

When we played it more recently, I can't count the number of times we both said.. "I don't remember hitting a wedge into here - I thought I hit 7 iron"..."Didn't I hit 5 wood into here in college? Now I have an 8 iron"

Technology is amazing.

Oh, scoring? Well, I think I still shot a 79, which was what I shot in college......