Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Dream Job

A while back I was asked what I would choose to do as my dream job. What I thought would be an easy question turned into an introspective review of my likes and dislikes, and what would bring me true happiness. Like most everyone, I think it would be great to have tons of cash, but am not interested in the fame that comes with success in certain areas (sports, politics).

If I had the choice of any job, I would be a successful author. You are able to choose your subject, create your own schedule, live wherever you want, and live in total anonymity. Unlike sports, which involves a mind-numbing daily routine, and visits the same destinations, writing would be intellectually stimulating, and allow for expansive travel, related to researching book topics, or under one's free will.

Working under my own schedule would allow for outside interests (golf, reading, other pursuits). Lifestly could be urban or rural, and your work would be received by a higher common denominator of fans than a sports team or band. Most importantly, one could live in complete anonymity. I'd refuse to promote or do book shows.

4 comments:

dzahn07 said...

Even by being an author I think you would still be working a little too much, and if you were any good, the fame would eventually come.

I would think that a bookie would be more suited to you. More free time and very little work.

Other Brad said...

I have thought of this many times and never can come up with a good answer.

I have 3 (2 being sports related and 1 not):

In Sports: I would be a closing pitcher...or a prof. golfer.

Non-sports: The voice of an animated character.

RRD said...

I don't think I would be attracted to the allure of sports, even being a bullpen catcher would require too much travel to miserable places. I remember reading Todd Jones pieces in the Birmingham newspaper, and those guys do nothing before games, they literally hang out at local malls.

On the PGA, if you are outside the top 30, you are stuck flying coach and sleeping at Holiday Inn Expresses. I'll pass.

dzahn07 said...

RRD, I have a friend who is good friends with Darron Stiles who is on the PGA. He is 149 on the money list, has made $330,000 this year, and lives extremely comfortable. Christ he was making $180,000 on the Nationwide tour last year. He just bought a very nice house in Pinehurst and owns $100,000 motorhome and he will travel in the south and then flys first class everywhere else. He thanks Tiger everynight for dramatically increasing the TV contract and sponsor involvement.