Monday, August 29, 2005

Gates-Gonzalez

I've got my Fantasy draft tonight, and with the 11th pick (of 14) I am left with limited options. After my 2RD pick, it is going to be a long wait (21 picks) until I pick again, so I figure I am forced to go with two running backs in the first two rounds. While a decent WR or QB could be available at 11, the deep crop of RBs will be gone by the 3rd round, and I don't want to be left picking at scraps looking for a sleeper, who may never wake up (Ricky Williams).

In 3RD, I plan on taking a good QB, as WRs drop off after the first 3-4, and TEs drop off after the first two, and the 2nd level available is of greater uncertainty at WR and TE than at QB. I think a 2nd tier QB has more value than a 2nd tier at the other positions, and there is a bigger gap between 2nd and 3rd tier QBs than 2nd/3rd WRs and TEs.

Finally, is there a draft this year where Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez don't go with subsequent picks? One of the two gets nabbed, and the next guy clams up and it afraid of passing on a proven points scorer and grabs the other. I guarantee it will happen tonight, probably around the start of 3RD.

2 comments:

dzahn07 said...

I just don't know anymore. Gonzo is a solid pick in the third round. If you don't get him, I'd rather get a WR than a second tier TE or QB.

Remember that Gates went undrafted last year in probably 90% of the league. Also you do have solid choices at TE after these big two in Wiggins, Johnson, and Crumpler.

So my advice is to take Gonzo or Gates in the third, and if not then go with a WR.

RRD said...

I ended up getting Gonzo at the end of the 3rd, one pick after Gates.