Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Money Wasted

Shortly after 8AM the space shuttle safely landed. I really don't care.

Is there any endeavor more pointless than than space shuttle? I canot think of one innovation that was fostered or spunoff from any space shuttle launch. I am assuming most satellites are launched from rockets.

I can't see the shuttle launches for anything other than a multimillion dollar expense. Is the underlying motive an international pissing contest? If shuttles serve any purpose, shouldn't we align funding and research with other nations for cumulative benefit?

Finally, why land the shuttle in Florida, essentially having picked the state with the most unpredictable summer weather in the nation?. After multiple delays, the shuttle landed in California (in the Mojave Desert), home of 35 rain-days annually, as opposed to the veritable swamp that is Cape Canaveral.

1 comment:

Eric Z said...

No, no, doesn't it always launch at Canaveral and always land at Edwards in California?

I don't ever remember the shuttle landing in Florida. Back in the 80's, wouldn't they then fly the shuttle from CA to FL to get ready for the next launch? Or is my memory going again?