Friday, October 21, 2005

Musical Mediocrity

I just don't get how everyone seems to be enthralled with Coldplay. I find their music to be bland, repetitive, and all their albums sound alike, but they go on tour and tickets are outrageously expensive and they are treated like the 2nd coming. They have succeeded in packaging and marketing a sound that is so lacking flavor that no one can really dislike what they produce, it falls within the standard deviation of all music fans, and completely lacks imagination. It would not surprise me if they had already recorded their next five albums, to be released on a bi-annual basis, which they grow rich and prosper doing essentially nothing.

Also, when did the current U2 Tour become the hot ticket? U2's music has been uninspiring since Achtung Baby, yet their appeal has reached an apex. I don't remember any prior tours being such a commodity, yet everyone I know was clamoring for tickets. Don't they tour every year, what are you going to miss by waiting until 2006 to see them in DC? I am sure 90% of their show will mimic their current output.

3 comments:

dzahn07 said...

I was going to write about Coldplay today and admit how crappy their music is, butthen I heard their new song that I liked so I held off. For some reason I don't have a problem admitting that I listen to Annie Lennox, but I'm always embarassed when someone catches me listening to Coldplay.

And U2 is now in the Eagles category, where their music sucks, but it appeals to the 30-45 year old crowd who needs a group who they can spend $100 per ticket to feel good about themselves and not feel too old since they still can say that they go to concerts.

Buck Super Stereo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Buck Super Stereo said...

this was like a double barrel shotgun just went off in my face.

coldplay is to the super furry animals as pearl jam was to nirvana. a more marketable version of a genre that brings in the masses. both of the later had interesting sounds and growth, yet aside from the breakout of nirvana, people mainly disliked in utero b/c it was too weird. conversely, pj is safe. the superfurries never had a breakout, but in my opinion are kings of britpop. not emo, just great fucking britpop.

and the u2 comments. ouch. i think the eagles comparison burned me as much i used to get under my college buddies' skin comparing zep to skid row.

have either of you even heard the last two u2 albums?