Friday, October 07, 2005

Which is worse?

Not sure if I have ever addressed the subject in a previous post, but last night's discovery of the body of Taylor Behl, and the arrest of the 38 year old suspected of committing the crime led me to forecast his punishment, and how in VA he could receive the death penalty.

Growing up in the mold of Alex P. Keaton, where all issues were blank/white, I had no problem buying into the death penalty, as horrible crimes deserved just punishment.

However, I've come to sour on the death penalty, but for all the wrong reasons. Taking one's life for murder is too easy an escape for the culprit. Those responsible for murder should be placed in a cell too small to stand or lie down, in solitary confinement, with no light and barely enough food to survive, until they waste away. While the death penalty takes away one's life, a protracted decline would waste away one's spirit. Death for the crime is inevitable, why not string it out and make them feel earth-contrived hell for as long as possible?

I realize my thoughts are just as morbid as execution, if not worse, which saddens me, but it seems to be a deserved end for horrendous deeds.



Also, give it time, but Dave Leitao is going to do some great things to UVA basketball.

No comments: