Thursday, October 06, 2005

Somebody had to do It

After a hard fought victory last night, the Washington Capitals are endefeated and in first place in their division (I have no idea of the actual name). The Caps were paced by their phenom rookie, Alexander Ovechkin, who scored two of their three goals;

""It feel very good," said Ovechkin, who became the first Washington player to score two goals in his NHL debut. "I must thank my [teammates] for giving me two excellent passes. It was just a shot. I must only shoot and I score two goals.

"It's my first game in the NHL, we win and I score two goals. It's nice start."

In my head, I hear the Ovechkin quote receiving a voice-over from the late Phil Hartman. With the NHL being relegated to OLN and being squeezed in print between boat shows and high-school golf scored, I figured it my duty to carry the banner. The Caps are predicted to be awful this year, but having not played in a year, how can anyone make a credible guess as to a team's success? Already the Caps have been set up to overacheive, and as baseball draws to a close, I need something to follow, rather than Allen Iverson refusing to dress appropriately.

3 comments:

dzahn07 said...

Ugh....I used to love hockey, but I have totally lost interest. I'll try, so keep up the updates.

Eric Z said...

Well, I thought my boys (Columbus) were better than Wash. I'm probably the only Blue Jackets fan in Iowa.

I'll keep looking at the scores and highlights to see how they are faring -and then start to pay attention when it counts in March/April

RRD said...

The Caps were only picked to win 11 games this year. Since I don't know how many games constitute a hockey season, 11 seems paltry.