Monday, October 10, 2005

Zooropa

While channel-flipping this weekend I ran across an old SNL on E! where U2 was the musical guest. It reminded me of one of my ingenious antics of the last five years, where a good friend an I exchange identical Christmas gifts, we give each other the worst three CDs in our collection. I've also made it a point to go the extra mile and concoct a theme to my gift, with prior themes being, "great single, awful CD", "I shouldn't have been allowed to spend my money in middle school on CDs" (ABC - Playground, BBD), and "terrible metal bands" (Slaughter, Testament, Metal Church), but the best theme ever was "bad CD by an otherwise great band".

I don't think a band as good as U2 has ever released a CD as bad as Zooropa, which almost single-handedly broke up the band and relegated singles from 'The Joshua Tree' to serve as filler on Time-Life compilations for eternity. That CD was so bad it had to be wrapped in newspaper. It stunk.

No comments: