Thursday, June 16, 2005

Metro

Having just arrived to work after a 25 minute drive to go 6 miles, I consider myself fortunate as I didn't have to ride the Metro.

The Metro is awful. I live one block from a station and the train lets out one block from my office, and I staunchly refuse to ride. There is nothing more horrible than having to deal with other people in a close-packed area, before even arriving to work. I cannot begin to fathom the germs/odors/language that infest the cars. Combine the putrid atmosphere and the chance of delays or breakdowns, and you have a recipe for disaster.


Driving to work in DC has become almost impossible, but my vehicle affords me choices that don't exist on a Metro ride. I can adjust my temperature, radio station, lane, etc. It is easily worth the price of gas to exist in my own personal space on the commute. Also, I feel a good deal safer in my car. While driving is hazardous, entering and exiting a Metro station leaves a person vulnerable to the homeless, and a good number of homeless-lunatics.

But I heartily condone the Metro for everyone else.

No comments: