Thursday, June 23, 2005

Quick Hiatus

After a quick break to golf the past two days (yesterday was legitimate 18, today was a Scramble) I have happily returned to jot a few nonlinear thoughts.

For the enjoyment of F&J, yesterday I played 18 at Augustine in Stafford with Leland, JAF (to be here forward spelled phonetically), and a good friend from UVA, Whitey (YT). On the 11th hole, a left-bending 500 yd. par 5, I am left with a second shot from 135 that must Tony Zendejas two trees on without much height, resulting in a slightly strong eight-iron that skips over the green, barely into the woods, but was difficult to locate.

Luckily, YT found the ball and being only partially visible, laid his visor around the ball. I grabbed a club to punch, approached the ball to construct a stance, and saw the ball was in the coil of a rather large snake. Not taking well to reptiles, I did my best Ben Johnson impression to vacate, YT retreived his hat with a 4-iron, and Leland retreived the ball with a wedge, upsetting the coiled snake and causing it depart.

After describing the incident to an univolved party, it was determined the snake was a copperhead and the coiled position is indicative of the snake's interest to strike.

Lessons learned:
- Leland is not smart.
- Visors are stupid.
- The worst case scenario would have made for decades of one liners regarding Leland's wife's bastard child.

------------------------------------

It is nice to record a few words after 36 hours where I didn't think, makes the transition to work tomorrow easier.

Unfortunately I had unfinished work that needed completion yesterday evening. After emailing @ 8:00pm, it was sad I actually had prompt responses. The responses were solely to stuff the inbox of higher-ups with the "look how dedicated I am to my job, even if my emails are meaningless" email, which are not the pinnacle, but contribute to any work ire I possess.

1 comment:

dzahn07 said...

Yeah I found out that Lee was stupid the hard way. I helped jump his old Honda Accord with speaker wire with his convincing words of "What's the worst thing that can happen to you."