Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Hoos

Due to my borderline obsession, and the lurking Turtles on this site, I have been hesitant to make any posts regarding one of my true loves, UVA football, but as the season draws near, I must engage my sentiments, which will serve as an interesting point of reference as the season unfolds.

Membership to the numerous UVA message boards has given me a pretty clear indication of what type of fan posts on a message board (notice I didn't categorize as "roots for UVA"). Message board posters have an inflated sense of team worth and are never satisfied. I find it comical when UVA loses, (no undefeated seasons, to my knowledge) and the boards go into meltdown about wasted opportuities and "what ifs". I find it sad that someone could get emotional about a football game, albeit a damn great football game.

Personally, I am happy with the product that Al Groh produces, which is a consistent 7-8 wins, a bowl berth, and a team with players you can identify with/root for, who play to the best of their ability. What I really appreciate about the Groh tenure is UVA wins the games it is supposed to win. Give me a team that wins against worse teams, and occasionally beats a better team, and I am satisfied.

Going into 2005, I don't know what to make of the UVA squad. Although we return the majority of our starters (including D'brickashaw Ferguson and Ahmad Brooks, likely to both be top 15 picks), we lost 7 draftees and are anemically thin at a number of positions.

Offense - Biggest ? is at WR, where we have a crop of talented freshmen (Woods, Covington, Ogletree) vying for PT against a group of mediocre returnees (Ottawa Anderson, Fontel Mines, Deyon Williams, Bud Davis). I am hoping the competition reveals 2-3 who have a high level of intensity and give UVA the passing option that didn't exist in 2004. 15-20 passes a game is unacceptable, I would like the number to be @ 30, but am realistic with 25.

QB - Marques Hagans is a stud, who just makes people miss. It is a travesty he isn't 6'3" or he would be All-American. Had trouble last year seeing over the massive offensive line, but hopefully experience and being accustomed to shifting the pocket will open more passing lanes. Last year was too dependent on the run when plays broke down, but needs to have established WRs to build confidence in the pocket. Backup QBs are an unspectacular lot, from which I see Kevin McCabe emerging as 2nd string.

RB - Offensive strength. Hard to believe Wali Lundy is due for a "breakout" season, having rushed for nearly 3,000 yards in his first three years at UVA. Man on a mission. Michael Johnson has breakaway speed to complement WLs north-south style. I also envision Cedric Peerman (RF) making an impact. Although never mentioned, fullback Jason Snelling is a beast as a blocker and occasional runner, and I expect repetitions for Kevin Bradley as his backup.

OL - Huge, but not without problems, as the loss of All-American Elton Brown requires a few position shifts. Ian Yates-Cunningham is returning from missing all of last season, so it could take a game for the OL to become familiar with eachother's tendencies.

No comments: