Monday, July 11, 2005

Recipe for a Blackout

Again on the subject of the wedding I attended this weekend, the one thing that stood out (aside from the priest putting his cigar down on the alter during the rehersal, and skipping the reception for his usual Saturday poker game), was the guy in front of me in the bar line during cocktail hour, ordering a double Jim Beam and coke.

I immediately laughed, as the guy unknowingly called out the help for employing the standard watered-down wedding drink , that, and I always commend a rip-start on the festivities.

In a wedding setting, I can never settle on a drink that can be downed in mass quantities, yet remain palatable throughout the entire night. Slugging scotch is awful, and a mixture of cocktails (V&S, G&T, Jim Beam and rubbing alcohol) isn't the best option. I am open to suggestions for a game-plan for wedding imbibing.

4 comments:

dzahn07 said...

Stick with mixed drinks. Go with your fastball to make sure you don't have to leave the game too early. Mine is Vodka. For some reason my tolerance for Vodka is twice as high as any other drink, so I tend to stick to that until after the wedding/reception. After the reception, all bets are off, since you don't have to be worried about making a fool of yourself in front of the older folks. If you drink Scotch, you will be out too quickly, and if you go with beer you look too WT.

Monkeydrunk said...

good vodka with ice and a few olives should get you through the longest of wedding recpetions.

If they bride's father does not see fit to provide you with enough Grey Goose (or at least Belvedere) to last four or five hours of heavy drinking, he doesn't deserve to have you not hit on his wife.

If that's not available, I've found even the chepest of open bars have a little Gerge Dickel available. A constant trickle of Dickel will keep the party moving nicely.

Eric Z said...

I'll also mention the vodka. You can't go wrong with cranberry juice and vodka all night.

The older crowd (my Dad) calls this a "Cape Cod". Everytime I say that, I get a strange look.

RRD said...

Vodka/soda with a lemon was taught to me by a wise man, and gets the starting nod. Luckily, I can't tell the difference between vodkas, so I am indifferent to the brand.