Friday, July 08, 2005

Shipping and Handling = $86.00

I know my recent posts have been of a pessimistic nature, but it can't go without saying how ridiculous shipping fees have become. I call them "fees" rather than charges, because I don't think I could make a purchase on ebay and pay less than $12, which is most cases is more expensive than the crappy '80s CDs I am purchasing. At what point did it become acceptable to take a cut off the $2.16 it costs to ship something, and jack it up to something audacious.

Many times I pay exorbinant fee for shipping, and get a box with the actual price on the package, which unnerves me to no end.

Sadly, it seems companies have now caught whiff of the phenomena and jumped on the bandwagon. I was on potterybarn.com and about to purchase a $99 slipcover when I realized the shipping was $20, and tax was $5. Paying 25% extra to get it delivered is crap.

The real joke is Pottery Barn assesses shipping fees based on price of purchase, not actual product weight. You can buy picture frames from PB for $250, which would be a shipping fee in excess of $25. Essentially, you are over-paying for shipping on an overpriced, poorly made product, for which you can probably buy an overpriced warranty for when the POS inevitably breaks. Eff Pottery Barn.

3 comments:

Buck Super Stereo said...

the real joke is you buying slipcovers.

RRD said...

Is there anything that isn't embarassing you can buy at Pottery Barn?

Buck Super Stereo said...

point!